We made these this evening as a treat. I try to make homebaked goods to save money rather then buy pre-made items. An added bonus is that I know exactly what my family is ingesting.
My kids love cutting out shapes in the dough with Cookie Cutters. This evening we made Easter Egg, Butterfly, Flower and Cross Shapes. They also love to decorate them with an assortment of sprinkles (which I make with sugar and food coloring) and icing (which I also make at home).
If you have ever bought the Pre-made Sugar Cookies in the Bakery Section of Walmart, these taste very much like them.
Easy Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. stir in the self-rising flour to form a dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tags: assortment, bakery, butterfly, cheap, coloring, cookie, cookies, cooking, Creative, cross, cutters, decorate, dough, easter, easy, egg, flower, food, frugal, goods, homebaked, How to, icing, ingesting, kids, make at home, Making something, nutrition, pre-made, recipe, saving money, shapes, sprinkles, sugar, walmart