I know you’ve seen the adds that pop up on the side of your screen that say “One Mom Found a Super Cheap Effective Way to Whiten Teeth! Click here to find out what it is!”. Well this Mom is giving the info. away for free ;)… Hydrogen Peroxide. I get comments now and then about how white my teeth are. After a barrage of questioning about what sorts of things I use the questioner is usually disbelieving that, no I do not use those $30 Boxes of “White Strips, Gels,Rinses etc..” but rather use the .50 active ingredient they use… Hydrogen Peroxide. The trick to Whitening your teeth with Peroxide is to rinse your mouth before brushing with a 1:1 (once again with pity for the math challenged as I, a half and half solution) of water and Peroxide. Then Brush your teeth as normal.
I’m sure at this point you are thinking YUCK I bet that tastes like foot but I assure you that it tastes like nothing. The only real difference between pure water and Peroxide ,taste wise, is that it will Fizz once you spit it out. The Fizz always thrills me though because that means it’s Fizzing out all of the crud I don’t want in there in the first place.
If you want to REALLY clean your teeth you can create a paste of Baking Soda and Peroxide. The added abrasion of the Soda helps to scrub the gunk off of your teeth. I can not promise however that this concoction will taste pleasant, though it is very survivable because I have done and will continue to do it myself 😉
Do these (either just Peroxide or Peroxide with Baking Soda), according to my dentist, once a week only.
All of that being said I need to add to this post…. Please consult your dentist before following this advice because, though my dentist gave me the ok, your teeth may have special needs with which this advice may not work. Do I sound like one of the announcers at the end of a drug commercial that lists off 200 things that may go wrong if you take their medication? “Possible side effects may include, listening to Wayne Newton Music, Cranial Implosion, Negative Karma, Coloring Outside the Lines etc..” 😀
Now since I’ve created a whole posting touting my love affair with Peroxide I will give you other great uses for this Store Bought Wonder…
- To clean and sanitize the kitchen – clean countertops and sanitize lunch boxes. As with all cleaning I try to use things that are EcoFriendly and won’t adversely effect my family’s health and Peroxide fits the bill.
- To clean vegetables and fruits and prolong the freshness and taste – Add 1/4 cup of 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide to a sink full of cold water. Add vegetables and fruits wash, then rinse with cool water.
- Cut and Wound care – Misting a wound with hydrogen peroxide will help clean it while speeding the healing process.
- For your toothbrush – Soaking your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide between uses can help keep it clean and prevent transfer of germs. Particularly useful when you or someone in your household has a cold.
- As an astringent – Dabbing 3% hydrogen peroxide on pimples can help promote clearer skin.
- Fresh blood stains – use 3% H202 to remove fresh blood stains in clothing. Then rinse fabric with soap/water. Also works for most other stains.
- For canker sores and toothaches – use 3% hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash to kill germs and allow any sores to heal.
- Athlete’s foot, toenail fungus, and skin infections – Soak the affected area in 3% hydrogen peroxide once or twice daily.
- Sinus infections – Mix one tablespoon of 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide with one cup of distilled water for use as a sinus spray to kill and prevent sinus infections.
- Window and mirror cleaning – Hydrogen peroxide provides a streak free shine on glass surfaces. Simply use a spray bottle to wet the surface with 3% hydrogen peroxide, and wipe with a lint free cloth. This can also help disinfect, which is important in homes with children who like to put their mouths on the glass.
- Shower disinfectant – Keep a spray bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the shower for spraying down the shower to kill bacteria and viruses.
- Humidifier disinfectant – Use 1 pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water.
- Laundry Bleach replacement – Add 8 ounces of 3% hydrogen peroxide to your wash. (Does the name Oxyclean ring a bell?)
- Pets – For dogs and cats, use 1 ounce 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 quart water for their drinking and bath water.
- Home & Garden Plants – Use 1 ounce 3% hydrogen peroxide per quart of water.
- Bathtub detox – Add one pint or quart bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide to warm bath water and soak for 20-25 min.
- And last but not least My second Favorite Use after Teeth Whitening… Pour a little around your faucets and watch the nasty dirt and bacteria fizz out. Take a Toothbrush (One you use solely for cleaning. I don’t care how mad you are at him, don’t use his toothbrush. I’m fairly sure there is one lady out there in cyberland right now who thinks I’m psychic and can see her through the screen.) and scrub the remaining junk around the faucet and rinse with clear water.
If those weren’t enough uses for this Cheap Wonder and you would love to read more, including how to cure an Earache, Clean out Earwax, Prevent Swimmers Ear etc… Click HERE to visit Tip King.